This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission simply by your purchase, thank you!
This is the second in a 15-day gratitude devotional post. Each day a new devotional is short enough to be done in 5 minutes and will be posted along with a journal prompt. Want them all now? Download the FREE gratitude journal workbook below.
Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!”
Why do you give thanks?
If we took the time to examine our prayers of thanks, it usually is for the things
that God gives us, the people and experiences He brings us.
We give thanks for healing, the job we were praying for, the business deal that went our way, the salvation of our loved ones.
But how often do we give thanks to the Lord simply because He is God and He is good?
Yes, it is good to give thanks for all the things that God gives us and we should continue that. Today
and going forward, we should also recognize that God is good and that alone is worth giving thanks.
There are simple ways we can connect to God and truly give Him thanks.
- Invite Him to be with you as you embark on a new task. As you sit down at the computer to start your workday, ask God to be with you.
- Offer up the work you are about to do in thanksgiving for His love, mercy, and forgiveness.
- Surrender whatever outcome that comes from that task you are doing. If you find it easy praise God. If you found it challenging praise God.
We don’t have to always wait until things are going well in order to give thanks. Just taking time to pause, reflect and give thanks just for the sake of giving thanks will increase your joy and make you more aware of all you have.
- What are you giving thanks today? Be super-specific. Don’t just write “my family”. But include the why as well.
- What is one small way you can start making gratitude a habit starting today?