Have you blessed your home for the New Year? The start of a New Year is a special opportunity to bless your home and invite peace, joy, and abundance. Here is a step-by-step guide to a simple yet powerful house blessing you and your family can do together.
GRAB THE GUIDE BELOW
Tense. Stressful. Unhappy.
Those are not the words you want to think about when you think about your home. In fact, after either being at work all day or running around with the kids, those are the last things you want your home to be.
Thankfully, there is a way to invite more peace and joy into your home.
For the past few years, my family and I have done a home blessing on New Year’s Day. Not only is it a wonderful celebration everyone can take part in, but it sets the tone of having Jesus at the center of our family from the beginning of the year.
Blessing your home also helps you to show appreciation for God’s provisions. Whether you live in an apartment or your dream home, participating in a house blessing shows that you give thanks for all that you have today.
A house blessing transforms your home into a place where peace, joy and abundance resides.
WHAT IS A HOUSE BLESSING?
A house blessing can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be. Some people think a house blessing is only reserved for a new home but in reality, a house blessing can be done at any time.
You can choose to invite a priest to do the blessing but you can bless your own home at any time as well. Here are some particularly special moments to do a house blessing:
- New Year’s Day
- New Home
- Anniversary of moving into a home
- Selling a home
- Whenever you feel the need to invite the Spirit into your home
The wonderful thing about a house blessing is that there are no rules really and members of the household can do it themselves.
You can even get the kids involved to make it a family affair that everyone will enjoy being part of, no matter what age.
Similarly, if you were having a New Year’s party, a house blessing can be a social event you can share with friends as well.
A SIMPLE HOUSE BLESSING
We keep our house blessing pretty simple. One thing I always, always do before doing the blessing is to clean my space. (This is the system I use to keep my home tidy – most of the time.)
Having a clutter-free space that is somewhat organized and tidy just feels joyful and helps put you in the right frame of mind to do your blessing.
STEP ONE is to clean your home. You don’t have to do a deep clean right now but just enough to remove any clutter.
Start with everyone gathered in one area of the room. Many people start at the front door.
I’ve included a helpful guide to print and start blessing your home.
- Holy water
- Whisk, spray bottle or something to sprinkle water
Time: 10-15 minutes
- STEP TWO: Everyone makes the sign of the cross. Say a simple prayer to invite the Holy Spirit into your home. You can make up your own or use this one.
Heavenly Father, we gather here as a family to ask for your blessings on our home. Holy Spirit please reside in our home and in our hearts. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- STEP THREE: The leader can choose a reading from the Bible to start. We usually read Luke 9:10-17of Jesus multiplying the bread and the fish but feel free to pick your favorite.
Move from room to room. Make it even more memorable by taking turns and inviting the kids to take part in the blessing as well.
Here are some ideas of prayers for each area of your home. You can print these and have them on hand during the blessing. Again, these are just suggestions. Feel free to put your family’s own personal spin on it.
Another thing we try to do is stating our intentions for the coming year in every room as well. For example, if your family does not normally eat dinner together but you would like to start doing so, include that in your blessings.
- Foyer: Heavenly Father, thank you for this home and this family. Please bless our coming and our goings and protect us always. Help us to remember to always invite you to join us as we go about our day. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- Living Room: Lord Jesus, please bless this space where we gather and spend time together that we may feel your peace and joy in this room. May your Holy Spirit surround and bless us always. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- Dining Room: Oh Father, you are the giver of all, please bless this room where we eat. Please help us to be grateful for all our blessings and to be kind to those who are less fortunate than us. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- Bathroom: Lord, please bless all those who use this space. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen. (I bet the kids would have fun saying the blessing in this room).
- Office: Loving Father, please bless this space where we work and study, that we may be filled with your wisdom and knowledge. Guide our thoughts, words, and actions that they may be pleasing to you. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- Bedrooms: Heavenly God, please bless this room that all who sleep here may find comfort and joy. May they be free from fear and anxiety and surrounded by your holy angels. We pray that we may always be in your favor and wake up refreshed for the day ahead. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- Family Room: Lord, as we gather in this space to rest and relax together please help us to always discern what is pleasing to watch and listen to on t.v. May we be guided by your words in Phillipian 4:4 to choose programs, that are “true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent or praiseworthy. ” In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
- Playroom: Almighty God, please bless this playroom that your Spirit may infuse it with His joy. Please bless all who play here that they may enjoy the wonder and excitement of the imagination you have blessed us with. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.
End the blessing with a family hug or if you chose you can also do the family pledge and bless each other for the coming year.
READY FOR THE FUTURE
As you can see, a home blessing can be however you want it to be as long as the center and focus is on God.
I am so excited and proud of you for wanting to invite more peace into your home for the coming year.
While I cannot guarantee that by doing this home blessing your kids will all of sudden start to act like angels or that your home will be immaculate from now on, I can tell you of the tremendous peace and joy that will fill your heart after the blessing. It’s a feeling that I hope you will experience.
I believe that doing the home blessing will make you and your family even more excited about the coming year because you have reminded each other of your reliance on the One who loves us more than we will ever know.
In other words, you have set the tone for the coming year and done your part to ask God for His blessings.
Will you try it? Have you done a house blessing before? When do you usually do it?
Please let me know if you try this one and how your family and friends respond to it.
May His peace and joy fill your heart and I pray that the Holy Spirit fills every crevice of your home Happy New Year!